Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Logan's ticker

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Sunday, August 5, 2012

Dirty Mouth?

Do you ever do something and as your doing it or right after, you think, "That was dumb!" or "I shouldn't have done that".  Well, I had one of those moments the other night, you know where you say, that was a real dumb a** thing to do. 

Like father, like daughter I guess.  My dad and I found this picture at his house the other night.  He explained to me that this picture was taken about 30 years ago, when he was on the way to meet my mom at the doctor's office for an ultrasound of me.  He, too, had one of those moments.  I love this picture!  It illustrates perfectly how I feel sometimes. (See where he's pointing?) 

So, here's what happened....

You know Logan loves to take random things to bed like toilet seats, placemats, and toys.  When he wanted to take his toothbrush to bed, I didn't think anything of it, but then he pitched a FIT to take his toothpaste to bed.  I was tired and thought, "Eh, he's taken his baby toothpaste to bed before.  He'll just hold it and go to sleep."  We recently, switched from the training baby toothpaste to the kids/toddler paste.  So, armed with the brush and the paste he silently settled into bed and as I covered him up, I was thinking, this is probably not a good idea. 

Fast forward about 5 hours and I awoke to screaming and crying coming from Logan's room.  I waited about 30 seconds and realized he was crying louder and since he never wakes up in the night anymore, I knew something must be wrong. 
I rushed to his room and as I opened his bedroom door, I was almost knocked over by the strong stench of fruit burst toothpaste.  I turned his little night light lamp on and saw exactly what I feared.  He was COVERED head to toe including hair, ears, diaper, shirt and pants in toothpaste.  Not only was he covered, but his pillow, blanket, bed, stuffed animals and toys were covered, too! 

I scooped him up, as I was kicking myself for allowing him to take the paste to bed,  and took him into the bathroom to strip him and wipe him down.  I finally got him cleaned up and calmed down and then it dawned on me....He also ate the toothpaste.  I could smell it on his breath.  I ran into the room with him shriving in my arms and grabbed the almost empty tube.  I flip it over and with 1am still asleep eyes read, "WARNING: If you child ingests more than enough toothpaste to brush his teeth, call Poison Control immediately".  DUMB A**!!!!  So, now I am totally freaking out and thinking I'm about to have to throw him in the car and go to the hospital to have his stomach pumped. 

 I finally am able to find the number to Poison Control, which is now on speed dial.  The woman I spoke to was so sweet as I frantically explained what a horrible parent I am what happened.  She explained that the toothpaste has fluoride, which is why the warning is on the bottle.  She said that he would be fine, and if I offered him milk or yogurt now it would help absorb the fluoride.  She also told me that he would probably have upset stomach, and to call back in he threw up in the next 6 hours. 

Needless to say, Logan slept with us the rest of the night. Actually, he slept while I scolded myself the rest of the night for being so dumb! 

1 comment:

  1. Oh no! I think that is something that I would totally do. You should have taken a picture - that would be one worth keeping =) Glad all is well!

    I never once had to call Poison Control with my girls. With Carter, I had to call because he DRANK Comet cleaner. Turned it up like a sippy up and had it all over his little face. I almost died from stress over that one. Boys!!!